Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Equinox

Today is the spring equinox (unless you live in the southern hemisphere in which case it is the autumn equinox). For the last six months the nights have been longer than the days. But today day and night hang in perfect balance. From now onwards the days will be longer than the nights, and will continue to grow longer and longer until the summer solstice, the longest day of the year.

Yesterday I saw my first open daffodils growing in the ground (not cut daffodils in a florist or pot-grown from the garden centre), and today the narcissus in my own garden have opened. I have been watching the new lambs in the fields near my house. Ground elder and cleavers are starting to cover the bare ground wherever gardeners are not actively rooting them out. And last night I found a small insect inside the house. The world seems to be coming back to life.

Ed has been in France on business for the last week but he got home last night. My dad has been staying with me following a serious illness but he is much recovered. Even the moon is in its waxing phase and I feel full of hopefulness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful, isn't it? I have just seen a tulip beginning to flower in my front garden. This is the first time I've ever had a garden that was all my own, and I'm enjoying it so much.

By the way, this might interest you: Eastern and Western Easter are the same date this year. There's something very pleasing about that.

Fran said...

The sight of the first daffodils in flower always put a spring in my step too. I have only just 'found' your blog and will follow with interest. I hope your Dad makes a full recovery soon.

Greensheen Blogger said...

After what seems like a near endless winter and a harsh one too, I'm looking forward to seeing the same results filter up to Northern Ireland (lots of snow drops and crocuses, but no open daffs on the radar as yet). Going to have to get started on my own garden pronto.

Kitty said...

Happy Spring!
We still don't have daffs in flower, good to know they are beginning to bloom, and there will be masses of them at my old house in Cheshire. (I used to get a bag from the Warrington IKEA and plant them out each year.)

Still, I did see gorse yesterday beginning to flower and it's only a matter of time before we get our own flower show!

Now, hurry on some warmer weather and some sun!

Z said...

First spider of the year in the bath yesterday.

Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling better Mel. I have missed your posts.
Here in Devon spring has 'sprung' at last and it is a beautiful sunny day.
The sunshine makes everything seem so much better.