Monday, June 02, 2008

Recycle Week

Big Ben sculptureToday is the first day of Recycle Week. I learned this yesterday, from an article on the BBC website about a sculpture made of empty coke cans. It's organised by Wrap, who are behind the excellent Recycle Now website. But there doesn't seem to be a webpage for the Recycle Week campaign, and I can't find out anything else about it. What is happening, apart from this sculpture? Are there any events people can go to? What exactly are they doing to encourage people to recycle more? It all seems a bit inept - a depressingly familiar story.

If I find out anything else about it I'll let you know. If you know anything, please drop me a line.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An event without a website? What is the world coming to! (Seriously, I am also surprised, because it's one of the best ways to raise awareness of such things)...

The only page I can find is a sort of press release here on WRAP's website, since it is WRAP that are organising this. It gives a separate URL, where you're meant to 'register' to receive more details on this supposedly high-profile event, but I couldn't get the link to work!

Ted Marshall said...

First I've heard of it also. I begin to wonder about all these days and weeks of whatnots. Are they effective or are they diluted by their overlaps and differing public profiles?

Z said...

Our local newspaper, in association with Norfolk County Council is publicising it - http://new.edp24.co.uk/
content/yourrubbish/

Yellow said...

Nice idea about cards. I have friends who love getting e-cards (which are also great if you only remember their birthday on the day itself) but I have others who have admitted they love to receive cards. I myself have a bag of birthday, Easter, Valentine, St Patrick's Day, Mother's Day and St George's day cards in the kitchen which we reuse for crafts. Gosh! So many occasions demanding that cards be bought and given, and it's only June!!!! When you look about it like that, it really does add up.