Monday, June 23, 2008

Mass in B Minor

Last night I sang Bach's Mass in B Minor with St George's Singers at the Manchester Bridgewater Hall. We had a stellar line-up of soloists, including Nancy Argenta and Michael George, although I agree with the reviewer from the Manchester Evening News who thought that the countertenor Tim Mead (a last-minute replacement for Robin Blaze) stole the show.

Of the choir, the MEN reviewer said:
The way they handled the complex choral writing, whether in four, five, or eight parts, producing a mellow, balanced sound every time, is a tribute to the qualities of the choir's members and the skill at work in their training.
He seemed to especially enjoy the Kyrie and Sanctus which we sang from memory:
... there was no forcing in the singing there or anywhere else: instead a transparent sound which demonstrated how well the choristers knew their notes.
You can read the full review here.

It was a thrilling end to a wonderful season. In May we sang The Daily Service live on Radio 4. In March we sang Rachmaninov's Vespers at Gorton Monastery with readings by Terry Waite and Joan Bakewell. In February we sang Elijah three times with Paul McCreesh, an internationally renowned conductor, which was a huge thrill. We sang Brahms' German Requiem in a day in January, and carol concerts of course in December. In November we performed a very challenging programme of 20th Century English choral music which was hard work and very nerve-wracking, but gave us a fantastic springboard for everything that followed.

We've got 2 months off now before we resume in September. Tomorrow will be the end-of-season party - everyone brings a plate of food and a bottle of drink to share, and we get up and sing silly songs and crack jokes and have fun together for one last time before the summer break.

I can't imagine life without music, without singing and playing, practicing and performing music, going to concerts and listening to CDs, and all the friends I have found because of a shared love of music. I love teaching guitar to 6-11 year olds, because lessons like that set me on the path to lifelong music-making. It's great to pass the baton to a new generation.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

What impressive repetoir you tackled this year! Congrats on the wonderful review. By the way, I like your concert attire-formal enough, but not stuffy.

Unknown said...

I'm jealous. I had to learn & write out the Sanctus for some obscure reason for my music 'A' level. I can no longer play, but used to play for choral concerts when I was in Aber & I sang in several performances before that. I'm rather removed from the music making up here on the mountain, though Annon is always playing.

I'm glad that I was able to pass on a love of music to my childer, despite their (musician) father making music absolute hell for them. (He taught the elder 2 with fear & beatings & refused to let the youngest learn, despite being regarded as a wonderful, patient teacher to other childer...)

Anonymous said...

The one thing in life I would change, if I could would be to have the ability to sing. I sound like a strangled cat, no joke.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the excellent reviews, though, having attended your concert at Gorton Monastery, I am not at all surprised. Your Mum would be proud of you, Mel.

eda said...

情趣,真愛密碼,真愛密碼,情趣內衣,丁字褲,角色扮演,丁字褲,跳蛋,煙火批發,情趣禮品,情趣精品,情趣玩具,情趣睡衣,情趣內衣,小泉彩,按摩棒,跳蛋,c字褲,情趣商品,煙火批發,煙火工廠,衣蝶,衣蝶,情趣用品,c字褲,情趣,貓裝,自慰器,自慰器,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,正妹視訊,跳蛋,AV,性感丁字褲,情趣用品,視訊,煙火,情趣用品