Monday, October 23, 2006

Petrol Saving Research


I finally found some research-based evidence about the impact of tyre pressure on fuel consumption, and I was surprised by the results. According to Edmunds.com (who manage CNN.com's automotive websites) tyre pressure has only a modest impact on fuel consumption.
...we saw a modest difference in two of the cars. It might have been more dramatic with different tires on different cars. Experts swear by it; we couldn't really document it. And we wound up wondering if tire technology, like the design in other areas of the car, had improved.

(from edmunds.com)

However they did find that large savings could be made by driving less aggresively, driving slower and turning the engine off if stationary for over a minute. And some good news, they found that using A/C or driving with windows open had no effect on fuel consumption. Hurray! I can use my car A/C with a clear conscience!

2 comments:

blackberry44 said...

I'm so glad you said that AC and open windows don't make any difference, because I almost always have the window open when I'm in a car. However, my new-to-me Toyota Estima Lucida has Air con, and I was wondering if I could be high-minded enough not to use it next Summer, but now I shan't have to worry!

Thank you!

I try not to drive aggressively anyway and I've slowed down considerably over the years. I'm usually the one being overtaken in the inside lane.

Anonymous said...

I am struggling to believe that A/C makes no difference, though I notice they seem to have only tested with A/C on, or with windows down. Also this is USA based research where the engines are much bigger.

I can feel the speed difference that A/C makes on my 1.25 Fiesta, so I would think it has to be equivalent to at least a couple mph.

I try to use the windows at slow speed and the air-con if absoluetly needed only at high speed.

I should probably drive less agressively and fast but it's a hard habit to break. Easy to just use alternative transport wherever I can.