Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Lehman's, the Amish Online Store

There has been a lot in the news about the Amish recently. Like most people, I don't know very much about them, but I understand they choose to lead a simple life, eschewing modern technolgy. I can find some parallels there with my own goals. So it's not surprising that one of my favourite websites is Lehman's, the Amish online store.

No kidding.

I like it for things like kilner jars, jelly strainers, things that I use. But it's also fascinating to browse the site and see gas refrigerators and ranges, non-electric washers and dryers, and farming equipment like milking stools and sheep shears. I also love looking at the medicines, toiletries, clothes and toys.

I have to confess, I've never bought anything there because the postage to the UK is prohibitive. But I can spend hours browsing and imagining the life in which these are just normal everyday items.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Online.

Amish Store.

Nope. Sorry. Like imagining the size of the universe, or that people find Jim Davidson funny, I can not contain that type of info in my head and my expel it through a complex system of chair-dancing around the office until normality is restored. Here I go...

Melanie Rimmer said...

I'm right with you on the Jim Davidson thing, but Lehman's is real, I promise.