Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Compost heaps

The kids helped me make two compost bins out of the pallets we picked up yesterday. I've already cut down a bunch of comfrey to put in the first one, and trained the boys to pee on the heap. Eleanor will have to pee in the toilet shed, but perhaps I can give her a bucket and she can carry it back to our plot and pour it on the heap. I've also emphasised to the boys the "pee only" rule. No other toilet products are allowed on the heap. Not human products anyway. The chicken manure will certainly go on the heap.

We made a small bonfire out of the scraps of leftover wood, which kept the kids fascinated for a couple of hours. Next time I'll bring some spuds or sweetcorn or marshmallows. The kids ended up roaming around the plot looking for stuff to burn, and I had to chase around after them asking people "Did you give that to them or have they just pinched it?".

Peas and beans are starting to grow - too small to pick just yet, but it's a matter of days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently girls' wee doesn't work as well as men's wee - I know this because my colleague's husband has to wee in a bucket for the sake of the garden.

Nerd in the Country said...

[snicker]

We have so many animals leaving so much [ahem] stuff behind that we haven't tried using 'humanure' (yes, you can buy books that detail how to use humanure).

On the other hand, marking your territory the way animals do (think of a dog and a fire hydrant) does help keep the predators away. I suspect that it works less well in the city because the animals would be much more used to human scents.

By the way, the chicken droppings will get your compost pile working really well. When you're done, you'll have compost with plenty of nitrogen.

Melanie Rimmer said...

Hi anonymous (do I know you are you just passing by?) I'd heard that about girl's wee but I don't know if it's true "wisdom of the ancients" or just sexist rubbish based on idea of girl's wee being "weaker". The only difference between girl's and boy's wee that I know is hormones, and it's not the hormones that make the compost work, it's the urea. In either case, why should Eleanor miss out on the fun of watering the heap?

Anonymous said...

What a great site » »